This year’s National Championships, played at Leamington Spa, will be played over a shorter period, 18 days compared to 30 days. To help accommodate this Bowls England have changed the format of various competitions. The County has decided to adopt the new formats during the qualifying rounds.
The revised formats are:
- Two wood singles – no change – 21 ends
- Four wood singles – no change – 21 shots
- Pairs – 3 woods / 18 ends
- Triples – 2 woods / 18 ends
- Fours – 2 woods / 15 ends
The above also applies to the Senior Fours and Junior Pairs.
Although the following competitions do not go on to the National Championships, the format has also been revised.
- Wardrop Cup – This competition follows the Top Club format and comprises of the 5 disciplines listed above. For consistency, the revised format for each will also apply to this competition.
- Mixed Pairs – 3 woods / 18 ends
NOTE: It is not known at this stage if these changes will become permanent